Play Therapy Session Structure
Initial Parent Consultation
- Parents/carers (ideally without the child) are invited to share their concerns/worries about their child with the therapist during an initial parent consultation.
- A full developmental history of your child will be completed to determine if Child Centered Play Therapy or Filial Therapy is suitable.
- Sometimes, a separate 30-minute family play observation may be indicated to determine treatment.
- Information about confidentiality, fees and practical considerations about the play therapy process will also be discussed.
Play Therapy Sessions
- The first play therapy session is with your child for 45 minutes (generally alone).
- After this we’ll agree a regular time each week.
- For some younger children, a shorter 30 minutes session may be necessary depending on their age or special needs (i.e. separation anxiety) whilst the parents/carers sit in the waiting room.
- Throughout the therapy process, there will be regular contact with parents/carers by phone or email and in scheduled parent meetings.
Subsequent Scheduled Parent Consultations
Parent consultations are offered separate to play therapy sessions as parents/carers play an important role in their child’s healing processes. The interaction between children’s problems and their families is always complex. Sometimes children develop problems as a way of signalling there is something wrong in the family. Other times the entire family becomes distressed because the child’s problems are so disruptive. In all cases, children and families heal faster when they work together.
The parent consultations will involve building a relationship with parents/caregivers by communicating regularly to develop a plan for resolving problems as they are identified and to monitor the progress of the treatment. Other supports might include involving a) the parents/caregivers directly in the treatment by modifying how they interact with their child at home and b) the whole family in family play therapy (Filial Therapy). These scheduled meetings take place every 4- 6 weeks with email/phone support in between. These meetings also offer an opportunity for parental feedback regarding developmental progress and emotional/behavioural change. Parents/caregivers also gain an understanding of their child’s experiences so that they can ensure their core needs can be met at home, school or access visits.
Medicare Care Rebates
Many children that utilise these services are eligible for Medicare rebates through the Better Access/Mental Health Care Plan. Ask your GP for a referral.
Please contact Helen for more information on Medicare rebates and out of pocket costs.
Initial Parent Consultation 90 mins
Play Therapy Sessions
Scheduled Subsequent Parent Consultations
Parent Education and Coaching
$140.00 per session (one to one sessions with parent(s)/caregivers)
Single-Family Filial Therapy Sessions
Phone Consults/Contact with Parents
Free of charge
Kinder/School Observations & Professional Attendance
$140.00 per 60 minutes plus GST (includes travel time)
Medicare rebates apply if your child and/or parent has a GP referral. GP referrals are valid for 12 months and a new referral is required after 12 months or if attending for a new problem. Please contact Helen for further information on medicare rebates and out-of pocket fees.
Families or individuals who have reached the Medicare Safety Net threshold will be eligible for additional reimbursement following specialist medical and allied health services.
Depending on people’s circumstances concessional fees are available. For example, students, people who are unemployed or experiencing significant financial difficulty can request a concessional fee. This is negotiated on a case by case basis.
Please note: There is a 24 hour notice policy for cancellations of appointments. Less than 24 hours will incur a fee.